sing loud

It’s always in whispers at first, isn’t it?

We mean it, then we don’t. But maybe we do? We have our thoughts, they have their own.

Too opinionated. No backbone. Loose canon. Too innocent. Trying too hard. Too strategic. No voice. All the same. Opportunist. Manipulative. Broken. Too fairy-tale. Only in it for the return. Just looking for fifteen minutes of glory.

Criticism, too many opinions, their voices and our own. It’s all tossed to the open wind, stuffing our brains with cotton and paralyzing all of us with its spine-shattering fear.

So why keep at it?

Why not just give up the whole gosh darn thing?

If you create, why make something new?

If you write, why tell those stories?

If you paint, why pick up the brush?

If you speak, why open your lips?

If you sing, why belt out that melody?

I’m going to venture a guess and say you’re doing it because you have no choice, aren’t you? Because if you don’t make that art, whatever it is, however practical, however mystical, your head will go buzzy and your heart will turn grey and your stomach will be filled with heavy brick.

Let’s not give it up, weary ones.

They say you’re too outspoken? You know what? You’re heard.

You’re too naive? You’re winning them over.

Too private? You’re wise.

Too driven? You’re making it happen.

We’re all in this together, me with my discretion and you with your open book. You keep your secrets, I’ll tell mine, we’ll see-saw our way through this journey of ours, toward becoming ourselves, toward growing up, toward learning what it is we’re even trying to say. We’re telling our tales as we live by them, we’re singing our songs with full lungs, we’re dancing until our limbs go numb, we’re discovering truth in the dank cellars and the sunshine.

Keep at it, wild hearted life liver. You’re doing just fine.

song h/t Gabrielle

14 Responses to sing loud

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect June 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Oh, so glad I caught a link back to this one. Excellent. Also? I love that song so much.

2. Kelly @ Love Well May 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

I’ve kept this open on my desktop all week, so I could soak in this.

3. Esther May 8, 2013 at 8:57 am #

That’s some great encouragement! Thanks :-)

4. Erika @ The Life Artist May 7, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

I was sitting here reading this post and thinking how much I needed to hear these words right now . . . Then, I saw an email notification on my phone – someone had commented on my blog and it was you! Made me smile that we were at each other’s places at the same time. :)

Love you so.

Love,
    Me

5. Gaby May 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I must be needing these words. Everywhere I turn, read, listen, someone is reminding me that I should write because that is what I must do, because it is what is in my heart. You said it: I have NO choice :)

6. Erica Ladd May 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

“We’re telling our tales as we live by them, we’re singing our songs with full lungs, we’re dancing until our limbs go numb, we’re discovering truth in the dank cellars and the sunshine.” Oh how I love this post and the song!

7. Sarah Caldwell May 7, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Oh man, I LOVE this. Thank you, I NEEDED these words today. (I met you briefly at Blissdom :) You are speaking my language, fellow kindred spirit. Bless You!

8. Kristin Potler May 7, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Such perfect words for a rainy day. Thank you.

9. the Blah Blah Blahger May 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

“Keep at it, wild hearted life liver. You’re doing just fine.” I’m making this my screen saver. Thanks for your words…they blessed me today!

10. HopefulLeigh May 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

That’ll preach!

11. Ashlee May 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

A-freaking-men. Love this, Ash.

12. dearabbyleigh May 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

WORD

1. What I’m Into – May 2013 | All Manner of Inspiration - June 3, 2013

[…] Ashleigh Baker: Sing Loud […]

2. Slip on Those ruby red slippers, take a deep breath and follow your own yellow brick road…. | WriterChick - May 21, 2013

[…] guys, don’t give up on that song in your heart. sing loud. Embrace that dream in your soul. Dress it up and give it […]