A Brother

He is four and a half years younger than me.

And we look alike.

Our hair is the same color.

Our eyes, too.

Also? We think alike.

We laugh at the same crazy quirky jokes.

We even speak our own language.

(Truly. It’s called Ishkabibble. And it’s da bomb.)

We stay up late, talking and suppressing laughter, just the way we have since we were little kids.

When he was small, he wore buckskins and World War I outfits. He did an amazing impersonation of Sgt. York.

Now? He wears faux nerd glasses, bow ties on planes flying to Nashville just because he can and totally rocks a bright purple and lime green fanny pack.

(Yes, I’m serious.)

Also, he purposely doesn’t make crazy faces for pictures, when we say we will, just so I’ll look like the weirdo.

He walks in our front door, a flood of sunshine, brightening our lives in an instant.

His nephews climb up, hanging on his long arms and legs, this tall boy, thin as could be.

They wrestle and giggle, peppering him with questions and stories of toys and preschool.

He is patient and laughs right along with him.

We talk while we cook. He puts garlic salt on the eggs and relishes in flavor.

He’s going to be a chef.

We drive around town the next day, looking at old houses and thinking up stories for each dilapidated building.

The Beatles play and we sing along, top of our lungs.

We tell each other everything, he and I.

Sometimes we get mad and we yell and we wave our hands around while we talk.

Passionate about everything and always dramatic, both of us.

But we always end up laughing. We crack up till we’re rolling on the floor.

We can never stay upset long.

We live a few hours apart, separate lives.

And yet, this connection will always be.

Us.

Brother and sister.

Everyone needs a 19 year old brother.

21 Responses to A Brother

1. nicole September 25, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I have a younger brother too. I treasure him and so do my kids. He lives in Columbus, OH right now, studying to be a priest. I miss him like crazy (we live in TX). He lived in the same town as me for about 3 years before heading to Columbus. My kids and I got so used to seeing him several times a week. It was a time I will always treasure. He was immersed in our busy family life and I think that will make him a better priest. I have two brothers-in-law, but my kids call my brother Uncle. Just Uncle, no other name, as if he is the only one that needs no other identifier. I love it (and him) (and your post).

2. Marlene September 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

Enjoy every minute you have together!!! My baby brother and I were very close for many years (this posts reminded me of him and I and the crazy things we did together), but then one day I received a phone call that changed my life forever.

Hug him. Laugh with him. Love him.

3. Elizabeth in Alaska September 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

I’ve always wanted a brother, Ash, and you make me want one even more. :) So sweet.

4. Kaycee September 18, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

This is so lovely. SO lovely.

5. Abby September 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

So sweet. great fun pics & memories.

6. Ginger September 18, 2010 at 11:40 am #

I have an almost 19 year old brother too!! He is the greatest! A few weeks ago a group of us went to Friendly’s and Aaron paid for my ice cream because I didn’t have a small bill on me… when we got home I mention paying him back and he said “nope!” lol ;)
    Ginger~

7. Mallory D September 18, 2010 at 12:48 am #

Wowzers! I have wanted to/planned on commenting on here so many times before…but this post fo shiz strikes a cord with me! LOL, I actually have seven brothers…though one is masrried & lives far away.

I’m your reverse miss Ashleigh- I’m 19 with a brothe r who is four years older then me! Wow, I could go on & on about my bros…I can’t imagine what life would be like without them!
    And, though I do have two pretty hilarious, fun sisters…there’s just something about a brother! =)

8. Gabrielle Louise September 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

ugh! are you kidding! you make it sound so romantic. LOL! ehhh… I love my bro too ;)

9. Tracey September 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

this is the kind of sibling relationship everyone who doesn’t have, craves

10. LeAnna September 17, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Love them little Bro’s, specially those Z’s, they’re the bomb diggity!

11. åslaug abigail September 17, 2010 at 8:49 am #

This is such a neat post! I have 1 brother, he’s your age, actually, and then I adopted an American family (soon to be my in-love’s) with a 20 yr old, 17, 22(though I’ll have to call him my husband) and 8 yr old brother =)

*Praying*

12. Karen September 17, 2010 at 8:41 am #

I was never close to my older brothers…but it’s a joy to watch my 24 yr old daughter and my 27 yr old son love on each other. When they’re together (he lives in California…she lives in Ohio)they laugh at each other and make everyone else laugh with them! They def have their own language…and it drives me nuts!!! But…I treasure them and I know that they will be there for each other…even after I’m long gone!!

13. Samantha R September 17, 2010 at 8:34 am #

And I have to say *AWWW*
    I have 4 brothers- 23, 20, 18 and almost 16. I’m esp. close to the 23 yr old. The 18 yr old bro of mine sounds a lot like yours. Goofy and can totally rock the nerdiness! He’s a lot of fun. :)
    Yep, brothers are AweSoMe.

And wow, your brother is growing up!!

14. Lisa-Jo @thegypsymama September 17, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Oh ache! Now I miss mine! LOVE me some brother time!

15. sarge charlie September 17, 2010 at 8:30 am #

nice post miss ashleigh

16. Naomi Elle September 17, 2010 at 8:17 am #

TOTALLY feel ya on this….
    My little bro is 20 and one of my best friends… We have that same sense of humor going on. He makes a joke and I’m the only one that laughs. We have that “secret communication” thing. In a crowded room, someone says something and I catch his eye and know exactly what he’s thinking. He’s my favorite road trip buddy ever, my favorite person to watch movies late at night with, and the person I miss the most (even tho I haven’t lived at home for 2 years!)… I trust his discernment and value his advice. I argue with him passionately and love him so much.

Brothers are awesome! :)

17. Melissa Brotherton September 17, 2010 at 7:56 am #

This…made me miss my brother so much! Mine is also 4 years younger than me, but he’s 26. He just got married two months ago. Sigh. She’s nice, but I miss him.

18. Breanne September 17, 2010 at 7:18 am #

Yes, I totally agree. Except my brother is 18. He is a tremendous source of joy and laughter to me and I love seeing how he sees the world.

19. Jenni September 17, 2010 at 7:10 am #

I have three younger brothers (no sisters!) and I love them! I’m closest to the one that’s 18 months younger than me. We have been like best friends since he was born. Thanks for this reminder… Blessings on you day, amiga! :)

20. Christine September 17, 2010 at 6:08 am #

How wonderful. :o)

21. Sara Sophia September 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

Your brother is most DEF a treasure.

(and you aren’t allowed
    to tell him I said so–
    say something like
    “YO YO YO WHADDUP?” instead)

Thankyou for sharing him with me :)

–C.