Happy Things

The boys and I have been tucked in the corner of the couch, finishing the devotion time we started during breakfast. We had a little behavior boot-camp… making a construction paper list of our most common “offenses,” the Bible reason we shouldn’t offend so, and the consequences for the offense. I told them it would help them remember to obey and speak without whining and not hit… but I’m actually hoping it’ll help the mama with her consistency.

Troy said he was going to ask Jesus, “Jesus, are you gonna help me obey ‘cuz it’s so, so hard?” And, says Troy, Jesus told him, “Yup!”

I was shocked because, lo and behold, that’s the same conversation I had with Jesus just this very morning.

Now, here we are, all piled into our pretty new red couch, and we’ve been talking about “happy things,” as the three year old calls them, or “heppy tings!” as the almost two year old says. Things that make us smile.

Here’s the boys’ list:

• suckers
  • chocolate milk
  • making pumpkin pie with Mommy (Troy’s constant request the past week–so I spotted the pumpkins at Trader Joe’s this week and picked one up. It’s today’s big project.)
  • books
  • poems (Merritt is obsessed with Eloise Wilkin’s Poems to Read to the Very Young)
  • baby Pooh Bear
  • “You make me happy Mommy!”
  • The bathtub from Jesus (“What’s that Troy?” “Um, it’s so Jesus can wash my sins away.” Oh. Okay.)
  • Coff-coff (That’s Merritt, obvs.)
  • Daddy riding his bike superfast to our home after work

My list would include all the same things, since seeing them smile means I do the same, and also a few more:

• Cloudy mornings
  • Surprise Starbucks, brought home by my guy, just to make me smile
  • A breakfast of fried range fed eggs and a slice of whole wheat sourdough
  • Also, the wheat berries sprouting in my kitchen (I feel healthier just typing it–the power of the written word and all)
  • My beloved’s strong hand holding mine
  • Hearing the pattering of little feet finding our room in the early morning hours
  • Knowing the gym is there, even if sickness keeps me away for weeks at a time
  • Going on walks… exercise, the old fashioned way
  • Making it to church last night, after all
  • Hearing that one of John’s young Marines is stabilized after a near-fatal car accident yesterday morning
  • Having garage sales… mostly for the crazies we get to chat with throughout the morning
  • A little boy who dresses himself in khaki shorts and a beachy tank top in October
  • Early morning coffee and devotions while the house is quiet
  • Having my beloved HOME…
  • Friends who don’t cater to my Crazy, make me laugh and challenge me to be a better me
  • Bloggie buddy meet ups
  • The anticipation of Tuesday nights… laptop and Starbucks… my night to both be “off” and to “work”
  • Kisses
  • Sushi–the newest love of my life
  • Books upon books upon books… and time to read them

Happy things on a cloudy Monday morning.

What three things are making you smile today?

17 Responses to Happy Things

1. Nicole aka Gidget October 26, 2009 at 7:57 am #

I love Eloise Wilkins! My daughter’s favorite book is one illustrated by her called “My Goodnight Book.”

Here’s my list for today:
    1. Warm days in fall.
    2. Laptop & yummy drink at a coffee shop (great minds think alike there).
    3. Sunset picnic dinners at the beach.

2. Gretchen Acheson October 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

Sounds like we have quite the little Eloise Wilkin fan! Glad Merritt’s liking the book. I seem to recall from my childhood that the bigger hardback version has a few more poems, but I haven’t compared our board book style with the one my mom still has. If you’re wanting a bit more variety, you could check that out. :)

And we’re going to have to hear more about your Tuesday nights. Right now my “work” time is while the girls are napping. ;) But that may change around a bit more when we have bedrooms!

As to my list of 3? That’s easy.
    Chocolate
    Coffee
    Kisses

But now I just have to know…did you MAKE the whole wheat sourdough??! If so, you had better share your secrets. ;)

3. Misty October 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm #

I love you Ash and can’t wait to see you.
    Hmmm, 3 things that made me happy today are,
    1. That even if I have to go to work, I have a wonderful sister who watches my 2 little girls and a Bible teaching school for my son to go to.
    2. The house staying clean even after 1 full day of work. (My Husband helped clean it this weekend…that definitely makes me happy)
    3. My job and the awesomeness of being able to share Jesus’ love at work in a round about way by taking care of some precious triplet boys, soooo cute!

4. Kaira October 20, 2009 at 11:51 am #

I like this post so much, I think we should copy cat it. We could use a little time to reflect on such good things.

Thanks :)

5. Sara October 20, 2009 at 9:43 am #

What a great list. I love “happy hearts” – there is so much to smile for.

Thing that made me smile this morning:

1) Feeling my baby kick. (I’m 23 weeks pregnant with my first).

2) An early morning sunrise walk with my guy and puppy.

3) Finishing an article before a deadline. (YAY!)

6. Megan October 19, 2009 at 8:21 pm #

Oh fun list!

1) At this moment it would definitely be hearing my 3-yr-old laughing hysterically as Kevin tickles and plays with him. It makes me smile and laugh as I’m sitting at the computer writing this.

2) My guys, the 3 little ones and the bigger one too. Today: dancing with them around the house, watching them run back and forth outside, talking with them, baby smiles and babbles…

3) Reading a book for fun! (And finishing it today, wanting more!)

I think that was more than 3, (heehee!), but those were a few of my happy things of today. Thanks for the exercise in thankfulness! :)

P.S. I’m slightly jealous of what I saw when I glanced up… someone’s laundry is all DONE?!? I’ve only caught-up (momentarily) twice since baby arrived! 11 weeks of being buried in laundry… ugh!

I like your project… Jake & I made “rules for a happy home” but I like the idea of the chart. I’m gonna copy you!

7. Nicole October 19, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

1. Two hours all to myself while Caleb’s at school

2. The box of quart sized mason jars sitting on my counter – tomorrow’s big project. :)

3. A well-fed hubby who LOVES what I made for dinner.

4. Laundry being ALL DONE.

5. Wait, I was supposed to stop at three, right?

Thanks for sharing. I love you!

8. Christian @ Modobject at Home October 19, 2009 at 6:06 pm #

White chili
    Folded laundry
    Full birdfeeders

9. Holly October 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

I love both of those lists!!
    Mine would include:
    1. A beautiful fall day in Ohio with *lots* of pretty leaves all different colors
    2. Extra minutes on the phone this morning with my 8-hours-away fiance
    3. Muching on candy corn all day at work! :)

10. LeAnna October 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

Some of my favorites….

I love the rain too! So refreshing and cuddle weather!:)

I will go with Christmas music too, or a good Christmas movie…. love Little Women!

The sound and smell of coffee brewing… or a nice cup from Starbucks too!;)

11. Rachel October 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

Hello!

1.) Loving Brothers.
    2.) Christmas Music.
    3.) Friends…who care so much about you, you feel like crying!

12. Ginger October 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

1.Getting a phone call this morning and hearing on the other end that my laptop lives! And did not die like I first thought.

2. That my fever is gone and I am feeling so much better!

3. That I am saved! It’s such a comfort to know I am in the Lord’s hands!

Ginger~

13. Samantha R October 19, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

Definitely good things to be thankful for!! I can relate to several of them and I liked that last one “Books upon books upon books… and time to read them”
    I don’t have always have time but there always there waiting for me :)

We’ve grown wheat berries before; yep, definitely healthy for you ;)

The 3 things I am thankful for today:

* Rain- for the moisture we need and for the day inside to get mucho accomplished!

* Lots of Apples and lots of things to do with them ;)

* Autumn and it’s beauty.

and a bonus:
    Getting our website turned into a blog; I am so excited about that!!

14. LeAnna October 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm #

Great lists, and tell Troy that I too am so thankful for the bathtub from Jesus. :)

I’m smiling today because…
    The joy of the Lord is my strength. Nothing I can do within myself, just 100% HIM.
    My baby is feeling a lot better than he has the past two days.
    The sun is shining, and even though we can’t be outside enjoying the gorgeous weather (sick babe), we can sit next to the window and soak it all up anyway.

15. Anna October 19, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

How fun to hear about your morning (and to be able to picture it after seeing the video of your house).

I’m thankful for being 25 weeks pregnant today, for a refreshing weekend full of Christian fellowship, and for the cool fall weather outside today (which is nothing to sneeze at in Florida!).

16. April October 19, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

1) Plump, neat piles of quilting cotton squares piled on my sewing table…up ’til 3AM cutting them, but they’re going to the place I love to reach out to people who need Jesus.

2) A warm, squashy piggy who sleeps with her eyes closed and her ears twitching

3) Coming in contact with not one, but TWO pleasant, helpful postal workers today…a rarity indeed.

And a fourth for good measure…seeing pictures on Facebook of a friend’s trip to Mackinac Island. :-)

1. Eloise Wilkin’s Poems to Read… - Gretchen Louise - October 19, 2013

[…] didn’t stop me from getting more copies to share my beloved Eloise Wilkin with friends. But I searched long and hard to find the tall hardback copy I grew up with, which contained 70 […]