The boys and I have been tucked in the corner of the couch, finishing the devotion time we started during breakfast. We had a little behavior boot-camp… making a construction paper list of our most common “offenses,” the Bible reason we shouldn’t offend so, and the consequences for the offense. I told them it would help them remember to obey and speak without whining and not hit… but I’m actually hoping it’ll help the mama with her consistency.
Troy said he was going to ask Jesus, “Jesus, are you gonna help me obey ‘cuz it’s so, so hard?” And, says Troy, Jesus told him, “Yup!”
I was shocked because, lo and behold, that’s the same conversation I had with Jesus just this very morning.
Now, here we are, all piled into our pretty new red couch, and we’ve been talking about “happy things,” as the three year old calls them, or “heppy tings!” as the almost two year old says. Things that make us smile.
Here’s the boys’ list:
- chocolate milk
- making pumpkin pie with Mommy (Troy’s constant request the past week–so I spotted the pumpkins at Trader Joe’s this week and picked one up. It’s today’s big project.)
- poems (Merritt is obsessed with Eloise Wilkin’s Poems to Read to the Very Young)
- baby Pooh Bear
- “You make me happy Mommy!”
- The bathtub from Jesus (“What’s that Troy?” “Um, it’s so Jesus can wash my sins away.” Oh. Okay.)
- Coff-coff (That’s Merritt, obvs.)
- Daddy riding his bike superfast to our home after work
My list would include all the same things, since seeing them smile means I do the same, and also a few more:
- Cloudy mornings
- Surprise Starbucks, brought home by my guy, just to make me smile
- A breakfast of fried range fed eggs and a slice of whole wheat sourdough
- Also, the wheat berries sprouting in my kitchen (I feel healthier just typing it–the power of the written word and all)
- My beloved’s strong hand holding mine
- Hearing the pattering of little feet finding our room in the early morning hours
- Knowing the gym is there, even if sickness keeps me away for weeks at a time
- Going on walks… exercise, the old fashioned way
- Making it to church last night, after all
- Hearing that one of John’s young Marines is stabilized after a near-fatal car accident yesterday morning
- Having garage sales… mostly for the crazies we get to chat with throughout the morning
- A little boy who dresses himself in khaki shorts and a beachy tank top in October
- Early morning coffee and devotions while the house is quiet
- Having my beloved HOME…
- Friends who don’t cater to my Crazy, make me laugh and challenge me to be a better me
- Bloggie buddy meet ups
- The anticipation of Tuesday nights… laptop and Starbucks… my night to both be “off” and to “work”
- Sushi–the newest love of my life
- Books upon books upon books… and time to read them
Happy things on a cloudy Monday morning.
What three things are making you smile today?