Maybe a future in church music? Or at least singing in front of Walmart.

Every so often (as in, once a week or so) our little family finds ourselves in the middle of an impromptu music night. A guitar or two (or three), the piano, sometimes the saxophone, often a bit of mini-guitar and mini-piano… both of which are played by tiny hands, of course, using music none of us have ever heard before. Sometimes the mini violin comes out, and once in a great, great while, the mandolin, autoharp or banjo will make a guest appearance. But that’s not too often.

We sing our favorite praise songs, favorite hymns (we love our more current music, but we’re still big ol’ fans of teaching our little guys the rich hymns and spiritual songs that have been sung by generations before us), and lots of Patch the Pirate and Sunday school songs. Hand motions are a must. Of course.

But Troy’s absolute, all time FAVE is Mighty to Save, as he first heard it sung by Hillsong. He’s obsessed with this song–to the point of making it WELL known to our church ensembles that “Migh’y to SAY-ve is HIS song, guys! It’s HIS song!” when they’re practicing for a Sunday service. I’m never quite sure whether the appropriate step there is to laugh or be embarrassed or to tell him to zip them lips.

The #1 commodity during our music nights would be (how DID you know??) the microphone.

As evidenced:

Note 1: You will notice Merritt’s complete freak out when he realizes Troy is singing the chorus alllll over again. The sky might fall if we don’t get the words right! Goodness. How ridiculous is that big brother of his.

Note 2: Troy told me, upon seeing me getting this video put together, that he and Bubs were being Daddy and “Mason’s daddy,” who happens to be the music director at our church. I’m not sure if that should be taken as a compliment to either, given the faces Troy’s making when he sings (“Mason’s daddy” is usually the one holding the mic and singing) and Merritt’s, uh, amazing INability to keep the guitar in front of him (Troy and Merritt’s daddy is usually the one with the guitar). We’ll pretend he just meant it in, you know, general terms.

Note 3: Across the board, the first order of business here would be to teach those boys a thing or two about staying on key, but, you know, we’re workin’ on it.

So, you know of any churches in need of a music leader? One willing to wait, say, twenty years or so? Lemme know.

17 Responses to Maybe a future in church music? Or at least singing in front of Walmart.

1. Fair Maiden September 21, 2009 at 8:36 am #

That was great! Merritt was so cute. Troy really knows that song. I love it when young kids learn a song, and they love to sing it all the time, but they're slightly off in the melody. Regardless, they love singing, and you can see that and it doesn't matter if they're singing in tune or not. :)

2. Nicole September 20, 2009 at 8:46 pm #

SO SO SO cute! :) I love seeing those two little guys and seein' what they're up to these days. :) I can't wait for Caleb to start singing.

3. Melanie September 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

You guys are such good parents. Thanks for the inspiration to do more singing with my kids.

4. LeAnna September 20, 2009 at 7:28 am #

That was so cute! I love Merritt's chorus of "huh uh's!" there at the end. What sweet memories. :)

5. Heather September 19, 2009 at 8:37 pm #

Oh, that was SOOO CUTE!!!

6. Judy September 19, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

What a perfect memory for your family. Those little boys are darling!

7. mel September 19, 2009 at 5:18 pm #

Oh that is just CUTE.

8. Mosaic September 19, 2009 at 11:33 am #

That was so adorable!!!

9. Megan September 19, 2009 at 10:15 am #

SO adorable!!!! I, too, am blessed (and inspired!) by how you teach your boys of Jesus day-in and day-out. Merritt is a doll and reminds me a little bit of Austin. (He should, being they were born a day apart!) I love it!

10. Megan September 19, 2009 at 10:15 am #

11. joyfullyhis September 19, 2009 at 8:57 am #

Oh, that is too cute!! :)
    Thank you for sharing such a fun video with us. Your boys are ADORABLE and who knows… maybe someday one of them or both of them will be leading music at a church someday. Ya never know ;)

12. Ashleigh (Heart and Home) September 19, 2009 at 8:40 am #

Ha, Laura, no, not implying anything. I worded that wrong… it's edited now to keep confusion at bay. ;)

13. Laura September 19, 2009 at 8:07 am #

Big brothers???? Hinting at something?? =)

14. jAne September 19, 2009 at 6:28 am #

Sooo sweet to hear first thing this morning with my hot coffee in hand.

Mighty to save
    He is mighty to save…

Blessed be the Lord!

jAne at tickleberry farm

p.s. our church is in need a new worship pastor – don't know if we can wait 20 years though. ;o)

15. Becky September 19, 2009 at 5:29 am #

So precious! I'm blessed by the way you give God glory in your home. The video is a keeper for sure! Thanks for sharing!

16. melanie forbes September 19, 2009 at 3:44 am #

ha ha! i love it and i love the look on john's face at the end-somehow a mixture of pride and amusement. :)

1. Heart & Home » The Forest for the Trees - October 21, 2009

[…] across the room, I heard a melody. Two little voices giggling and singing. It was their favorite song. “Forever, Author of Salvation, our God is mighty to […]